Sunday, August 06, 2006

1-25-2

Borders with Mary
She is buying a book for a man who she knows will be dead soon. He is only 70 but to my eye looks much older. His days as a doctor are done.
What do you buy a dying man? Mar is buying him a garden book. He loves it and now as his inoperable cancer ceaselessly grows within, he plants things which he may never see bloom.

The Borders music group is setting up.
There equipment is cheap. One man tunes his mandolin. He wears a blue chambray colored shirt which he wears untucked. It does not hide his stomach. He is probably in his 50’s; He is balding and has wisps of hair on top and too much thin grey hair behind. His lower lip protrudes a bit from his face. his second chin reaches down to his shirt. He wears faded blue jeans.

The other "entertainer" wears green-brown corduroys with a caramel colored belt. He too has a belly which speaks middle age. He has a nice haircut and looks like he is a bureaucrat.

Mary is flipping through a country living magazine. She is buying a Sue Miller book: "Inventing the Abbott’s” She wrote "The Good Mother" The other book Mary will buy is Mother of Pearl by Linda Haynes.

The "entertainer’s” are spending too much time getting set up. There is not that much equipment that they have to spend so much time "tuning"
Mary expresses that frustration:
"Get ready already"

Mary is trying to get me to leave. Now she is getting upset because the book she is buying for the Doctor has a few creased pages. It should be perfect. If you had so few days left, you should have perfection.

2 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

Is this an old story? Did the Dr go off quietly in that good night??

I think everyone who plants things might never see them grow to maturity. I still keep planting trees I shall probably never see grow up. It is the
hope for the future that keeps us doing these things.

nice story graabgebj

10:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What DO you buy someone who hasn't long to live? I would think material things might even be superfluous. But then again, gifts in any form are presents from the heart.

If I didn't have much longer to live, I think I would appreciate books. Books have given me pleasure and sustained me all my life. Why not books to be there at my last breath so that all the stories and worlds I'd once only read about becomes part of my last memory. Becomes the fabric that binds those I love.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home