Monday, August 21, 2006

Panera

6-22-02
The car is getting an oil transfusion while I get a caffeine transformation.
Border's was a bit too far to walk. Panera is closer. Panera has better "food" if you can call the wonderful Danish which tastes better than food, food.
I am sitting in a booth. Sea Glass by Anita Shreve is by my left hand. The white cappuccino cup--big, heavy, like an Andy Warhol version ---is at my right. The tray which contains the peach Danish crumbs, the used napkin, and the paper- doily like liner with the green-gold Panera logo is across from me. Mary is having her hair cut down the road (You have to live in Frederick to know that "down the road" means in or near Washington.) In the background a violin and piano piece plays whose name and composer I do not know.
This is not an "old" Frederick place. It is full of new Fredericktonians…Yuppies, intelligent looking, more stylish than those you would find at the Downtowner restaurant. It is decorated in orange and yellow tones. I would not have thought of using these colors; but here they are soothing, upscale, professional, and worthy of the college graduates who are here. There seems to be a conformist way the people are dressed- knits, shorts, logos on short sleeved shirts and shoes. I wear a dress shirt, long sleeved, cuffs rolled back two lengths, blue jeans, white walking shoes (with New Balance logos--- which I would obliterate if I knew how). I like being non conformist, different, special in my own mind.
OOPs... The time.... I got to pick up the car. I have to bring it to emissions inspection station today.

2 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

I think I prefer the Downtowner place but the peach Danish
sounds yummy. I adore peaches!
As for the New Balance shoes, this is my current brand - ugly and clunky as they are.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Panera! My young son and I go there all the time. His favorite is the broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl. I prefer the chicken fruit and vegetable salad. Now look what you've done. I'm hungry again!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home