Tuesday, August 15, 2006

However

4-28-02
I am surprisingly tired. I was full of energy until I got into the line for coffee. I waited about 15 minutes with a fat mother and three unruly kids directly ahead of me. The kids needed to irradiate the air with excess energy. Just watching them squirm made me tired and envious. If only I still had that much energy, If only I know what I do and had as many years ahead of me as they do. I can see why the theme of starting over, selling one's soul to the devil, and searching for the fountain of youth is such an important one in literature.

I have been reading Sol Stein's book on writing. Writing is not just inspiration but a craft. It is good to study the craft; especially when the inspiration seems to be on the wane.


However.....
Oh if there were no more howevers
However to haunt us with thoughts of duty

However
The grass needs cutting
However
Tomorrow I have to go back to work
However
OH Whatever!

2 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

I 'think' reading a book of writing is useless. If you want to write the only thing to do is sit down and plug away at it.
There now.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Sol Stein's articles on writing! We should do a book exchange some time. I have all kinds of books on writing and when I get stuck, I always pick one up and start reading.

They are inspiring and really get the itch going to write.

Some of my favorites include:

"Write Away" by Elizabeth George
"The Novel Writer's Toolkit" by Bob Mayer

The second half of Stephen King's book "On Writing"

and comments by short story writers like Dennis Lehane and Raymond Carver.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home