Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Four Years Ago

9-22-02
Sunday. We had been preparing for the annual visit of Mary's mother, brother and two sisters. I was given the furniture vacuuming task, the installing of the antique tiebacks that look like hands holding flowers, putting up the laundry plaques that Mary's mother sent so that Mary's mother would think we have had them up all year task, and the cutting the grass until the lawnmower broke task. We are taking a break at Border's because Mary's sister, Kate, called and depressed Mary because Kate read that the Mayor of our town is planning on installing Don's Johns because of the drought. What a bunch of sh** that would be. Kate also potentially ruined Mary's next Saturday plans.

"Our car is on its last legs."

"But I just sent Lauren's card. It promised getting her hair highlighted."

Mary came up with a unique birthday gift for our niece Lauren, a hair makeover.

So Mary's depressed and I get to go to one of my favorite places and drink my cappuccino.

Instead of picking a poetry book, I have a non fiction book which should be depressing me. It starts by discussing the coming end of the fossil fuel era, and the tensions between the Muslim oil producing countries of the east vs. the oil consuming nations o f the west. I wish I had the time to read it and the $25 to buy it because the dust jacket promises to discuss the creation of a new worldwide energy web and the redistribution of power on earth away from corporate greed and into the hands of the people. Perhaps some day I will have the time and discipline to focus on these issues. Now I float away in the arms of that grandfather and his granddaughter. The three young girl students who are actually studying and not talking... "Like, he was so cool." There seem to be a large number of studious people here. Boy, I wish I were one of them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Four years later, I wonder if the kid ever got her new hair.

;)

1:54 PM  
Blogger anna said...

4 years! and what the hell is Don jons a donald johnson hotel?
my god it must be something to depress Mary.
what the hell kind of gibberish is this.

see if you bought that book for 25 bucks you could sell it now at a garage sale for 50 cents

2:39 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Do men that drink cappuccino eat quiche

2:41 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Petite Fores!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home